Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Bitch Please




"I love you like a sista
but you need to switch
and that's why they called
you bitch!"
~ Tupac Shakur

So I had some downtime, was bored and went on theYBF.com. SMH! So Kanye supposedly has a new song called “Perfect Bitch” in reference to his chick Kardashian (aka: ho-dashian). On one hand, it’s sweet to write a song about someone to express your feelings to the world, but Bitch? That is not a term of endearment to me.

The older I get, the more I feel like the word bitch is kinda like the n’ word. It has a nasty, negative connotation, is usually used in a demeaning way, but is “acceptable” within it’s community. What I mean by that is Black people can use the n’ word w/ one another and no harm, no foul. Anyone outside the race can’t use the term period. Seems to me women can call each other bitch with a loving intent, but a man better not call her one.

I don’t think I view it the way I used to. Maybe it’s part of being in the job I’m in and investigating racial issues, having to enforce anti-harassment which means Blacks are not permitted to use the word either at work. Maybe going down to Louisiana and seeing racism so thick you could cut it with a knife that had me looking at the causal use of that word. I know I haven’t used it since that trip to Leesville. When I saw Kanye calling his girlfriend a Perfect Bitch, I started feeling the same turmoil about the term.

Over the years, I’ve referred to my girlfriends as bitches with no cruelty intended.

“Hey, Bitch!”

“Bitch, please!”

“Alright now, Bitch!”

I don’t know what happened but I don’t feel comfortable with either anymore. I plan to remove them both from my lexicon…well I might use the b’ word as a derogatory term but no n’ word period. Interesting how perspective and life makes you see things differently.

Funk-O-Meter = 3.5
Days Without 'Cupcake' = 10

3 comments:

  1. I sure wish there was a share button, because I'd be sharing this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading this. You should listen to "Bitch bad" by lupe fiasco, it's kind of about the social consequences of referring to women as bitches.

    ReplyDelete