Tuesday, August 14, 2012

All The Way Left




“To the left to the left
Everything you own in the box to left”
~ Beyonce

Yesterday was International Left-Handers Day! …and finally it’s cool to be left-handed.

I remember learning to write in cursive at school using the handwriting books. All of the tools and examples we were given were designed for right handed people. I would ask my teacher how I was supposed to do it and she would say, “Just do what they’re doing with your left hand or something.” Wow! I was often treated like I had the plague or leprosy. Continuing through school, I was made fun of all the time. Whenever we had to write papers, mine would be smudged from dragging my left hand over what I just wrote.

Over the years, I just learned to adapt to the right handed world I was stuck in. It’s odd I’ve become ambidextrous in some areas from my assimilation. I dribble, throw, and do a few other sports with my right hand. I bowl and bat with both, just depends on which one is tired at the moment. Oh, and what the hell was up w/ those funky left-handed scissors?!?! I obviously cut with my right hand and use “normal” scissors just because the lefty ones aren’t cute. When I go to the bank or grocery store and they have me sign for something, the pen is strapped to the right side, often making it difficult to sign from the left side. Picking up mugs the design or picture is usually on the side for right handed people to view and I get to look at the blank side lol! When eating out, I try and sit where I am on the end so I don’t bump elbows with the person next to me because I canNOT feed myself with my right.

Now I think it’s not only acceptable to be left handed but becoming trendy.  Left-handed pitchers sure are thankful they were born this way since they usually secure more money in their contracts than the righties. Another awesome perk of being left handed is I am able to tap into the creative side of my brain easier than right handers. Studies have shown lefties naturally function out of the right side of the brain where artistic ability and creativity are found. Right handed people may not be aware, but it takes them more work to use that side of their brain. I have learned there are activities the right siders can do to tap into the correct side of the brain. 

I know who my favorite person is born on my birthday (William Shakespeare), but didn’t know who my top lefter was so I did some research. The following awesome individuals are lefties:

Barack Obama
Bill Clinton
Leonardo Da Vinci
Bach
Jimi Hendrix
Kermit the Frog
Lisa Kudro
Nicole Kidman
Sarah Jessica Parker
Julia Roberts
Oprah Winfrey

I love me some Sarah Jessica Parker and Julia Roberts but I think I’m going to have to go with Oprah. Initially I didn’t believe this was a real holiday…until I saw it on a US Post Office calendar. Now I try and make sure I take time out to appreciate my uniqueness. If you know a left-handed person, show them some love and appreciation. They are probably the sweetest, most intelligent, innovative person you know…just like me!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I missed it! Left Handedness is pretty cool. If we ever were trapped with one arm tied together, we'd still get out of the situation.

    ReplyDelete