This got me to thinking about all of the other things I may
not being appreciating as I should. Why does it seem easier and more natural to
focus on what I don’t have, where I want to be, and what’s missing in my life
than what I’ve accomplished and what I do have? How do I forget the highs so quickly
and linger so long on the lows? It takes me back to when we were kids and would
start making our Christmas lists in January. I, along with my cousin, would get
the JC Penney catalog and turn page by page picking out what we wanted and in
what color. Christmas day would come and we would open our gifts with
excitement over the new bike or cabbage patch kid. A week later the dust would
start collecting on our new treats and we would be salivating over the
anticipated next best thing.
I noticed when a difficulty arises it seems insurmountable
and I forget overcoming prior hardships. I was feeling frustrated with the
finances and not being able to take a planned trip when I had to remember (…ok,
be reminded) I’d already been on two trips this year. Then I started thinking
about all I’d done this year alone and it’s only July. How could I have
forgotten my first NFL game, rodeo, and trips to Atlanta? How could I have lost
sight of my new freedoms and the fact I’m living alone for the first time ever
in life (yes, first time ever at age 35). I have so much to be thankful for.
This also reminded me of Pastor Jim teaching me the
importance of tracking accomplishments and looking back. In the Old Testament,
God would have the people build altars at places of great victories to not only
give thanks but to remember the win; especially when faced with a new
challenge. I need to get started on my list!
Funk-O-Meter = 1.5

Ah! I finally found a way to post a comment from my phone! Tomorrow is list day! Let's get to it!
ReplyDelete