“Something strange is
happening to me
I don’t know what it
is but it's feeling so good to me
I’m used to being so
cool, laid back and in control
But what’s come over
me?”
~Glenn Lewis &
Amel Larrieux – What’s Come Over Me?
I’m a planner. Some that know me call me anal but I like to
say inclined towards organization. I write out grocery lists, then rewrite them
in the order of the store so I can start at one side, finish on the other and
not have to go back across the store. It’s like a game I play with myself to
see if I can do it accurately without having to backtrack. I love a good
checklist and actually derive pleasure from scratching things off.
That being said, I like to plan out my next move. I don’t
always take it too well when things don’t go as intended. Therein lies part of
my issue with this whole dating thing. There are too many variables and pieces
that I’m not able to predict. Who enjoys this process? I don’t want to keep
starting over attempting to allow someone to get to know me. What I find even
more irritating than that is the concept of attraction.
What causes attraction? Obviously the answer to that is
different for each person. Some generate a list of desires such as height, a certain
level of education, eye color, down to how straight their teeth are. Over the
years, I’d constructed my minimal requirements based on things I either enjoyed
or detested in previous relationships. However, over the past year I’ve found
it mind boggling that people that look good on paper haven’t done it for me.
These people have met all of my requirements yet have not evoked the response
of attraction. I’ve met some really nice
people, well educated, affluent, attractive…ahhh there it was. I kept asking
myself why I found this person attractive but was not attracted to them.
Attraction and attractive are two different things. I would continue the hanging out process
hoping I would develop attraction at some point but I’ve learned I don’t
function that way.
Either I’m attracted to someone or I’m not and most often it’s
not. Just because I find someone physically attractive or they meet the prerequisites
doesn’t mean I’ll be attracted to them. So what the heck is it? Is it pheromones?
Is it genetic or some type of biological draw that brings out the Eros side of
love in people? What makes somebody attracted to one and repulsed by another?
What generates magnetism between humans? I still don’t know where attraction
comes from and am frustrated by my inability to predict and plan it…but I do recognize its occurrence
on the rare event it happens.
Funk-O-Meter = 3.5
Funk-O-Meter = 3.5

No comments:
Post a Comment