Tuesday, April 9, 2013

THAT perfect fit



“The soul of your femininity fits you just like that dress ...you see, I don't need to see designer clothes, silk robes, or fish net panty hose. Cause to me, that sundress you wear is the next best thing to you naturally…

Days, months even millenniums after I saw you in that dress, images of your behind still danced in my mind, leaving little imprints of the silhouette of you, against the horizon in that dress.
 

So at least given the designer of that dress the damn Nobel Peace Prize for the way that your thighs up against that dress brought a peace to the eyes of this mighty beast. Sundress...”
 
~ The Phat Cat Players - Sundress
 

Most women like to shop…I don’t. I hate it. I feel like shopping in a store takes too much time that I could be spending doing something else. However, I like nice things and to look nice. I know… I’m a constant contradiction. Well, God gave me the best fashionista personal stylist in the whole wide world who LOVES to shop. When we used to live in the same place, she would drag me out to the mall kicking and screaming. She could probably spend all day in there and be sad when they close and put her out. 
 
Part of why I don’t like shopping is I get frustrated trying to find what I see in my mind in the store. I know what I want most of the time but don’t want to go through racks and racks and racks to look for it. Marshall’s makes my head hurt!! That’s just too many racks. I have to get my mind right to go up in there. My stylist would make fun of me and my love of department stores. I liked them because I could walk into Dillard’s, see a mannequin wearing what I want and say I want that. Now, that’s not the most economical way to shop but it’s less painful to me. I got spoiled being able to tell my stylist the occasion, what I needed or wanted and she would magically present the answer. Sometimes it didn’t appear to be something I wanted but once I tried it on, it would become my favorite outfit until she styled me another. 
 
Then…there is THAT dress. THAT outfit. THAT one that makes you feel like silk in the summer and sunshine on a Sunday afternoon. THAT outfit that tops all other outfits in the past and has never been outdone since. THAT one ensemble that fits perfectly and you know it; meaning no one can tell you any different. PERIOD. For me, that dress was a dark denim Polo dress. Whenever I wore that dress, several people would ask where it came from and comment on how “perfect” it was. Even my cousin that doesn’t give compliments said she had never seen anything look that good on me. Going on my first out of town rendezvous, I wore my perfect dress and the desired reaction made me feel more elated than I anticipated. Well…the cleaners ruined my dress. Since then, I’ve had other outfits I liked but none like THAT dress. MY perfect dress.
 
The different people we encounter in life and categorize as associate, friend or love are a lot like shopping for outfits. There are some that you look nice in, some that fit better than others and very few if more than one are THAT one. THAT one that makes your heart pound a little faster. THAT one that is everything you ever asked for and a few things you didn’t even realize you needed. THAT one that makes you feel happier and more at peace than any other. THAT one that ‘gets’ you and vibes with you effortlessly. THAT one that goes with everything that composes and defines you just like that perfect pair of peep toes or purse that go with every outfit. THAT one you never want to part from because the fit and connection is that seamless. 
 
When you encounter THAT perfect dress or ensemble, it may not be on sale, easy to access or even sold out and you have to try and track it down at another store or online. You know it’s the right fit so no matter how much you have to spend or the energy you have to exert to obtain it, you are certain it is worth your effort.  
 
The same goes for THAT person. THAT person may not come in an easy, one-fits-all package, be in the ideal situation or even available for purchase.  That doesn’t devalue their significance or the amount of time, effort and energy you will expend to get what you. THAT one. Sometimes you have to buy THAT outfit on the spot in the event it’s sold out when you return. So it is with THAT person. You may be inclined to act immediately knowing you may never have the opportunity again. Being outbid, or encountering obstacles to obtaining THAT dress or THAT person doesn’t diminish that perfect fit, match and compatibility. If you make an offer or bid yet walk away without IT…at least you can be absolutely certain you did all you could to procure it because…you may never again encounter THAT perfect fit.

2 comments:

  1. I like boutiques now **giggling**

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! Oh, and I tried on a pair of jeans the other day, and wished Tanika was here to say yes or no, never ever, no!! LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete