Monday, April 8, 2013

Corrective Lenses


my broken rose colored glasses
“Nobody knows what I go through
Indecisions made me passive
They say I want my cake and I want to eat it too
Less satisfied if I don't, consequences when I do
These lessons, they lead me on my way

Well, it's a catch 22
Damned if I don't, Damned if I do
Yes, it's a catch 22
Damned if I don't, Damned if I do”

~ Goapele – Catch 22 

I find it interesting when you have not experienced something another person has gone through, you formulate your own ideas and notions about it. From the outside looking in, someone can appear to be selfish, making bad decisions or can be judged in a myriad of ways...all based on opinions of what you think you see.  

There can be a car accident with five witnesses and most likely, each witness saw something different based on their personality and natural inclinations. A woman witness may have noticed the color of the cars but not be able to tell you the make and model while a different witness may be able to tell you hair color of the persons involved but not the color of the car.  

We all look at life through our own personally crafted lenses. The differences that are seen have divided countries and even created various sects of religions based on one belief differing from the originating religion and based on independent opinion. As humans, we are naturally disposed to judge or form opinions about things we see and experience. You can judge something as good or bad, but it’s usually based on your personal values, mores and norms.  

I find it quite interesting often when I make assumptions about something I see but haven't experienced, when I'm in that position, my perspective completely changes. Walking through something can drastically transform what you think about a situation you previously knew nothing about. Take for instance a cancer patient that is crying over the loss of their hair. Someone might think they were being over sensitive, it will grow back and everyone knows that is what comes along with chemotherapy…until it happens to them. In the midst of going through it, their view of the situation shifts. The lens they are looking through has morphed allowing them to view something completely different.  

Recently, I experienced something similar. I kept seeing a specific situation happening with some people I’m pretty close to. I’d never experienced this phenomenon and wondered how it transpired. I did not judge these occurrences as bad since I truly believe what everyone does is their business and between them and God. When it comes to controversial topics such as abortion or homosexuality, my stance is that's between them and God. Just because I don’t do it or align with it doesn’t mean I think it’s a bad thing, I just know it isn’t my thing.  

Well, over the past few weeks, I’ve swallowed a lot of my pervious assumptions and choked on preconceived notions. I presumed I would never be in the place I now sit...smack dab in the middle of a hot ass mess. As a result, “NOWWWWWW, I see how this happens to people. I get it.” 

So as I sit Indian style in the middle of this quicksand, I’m now able to comprehend how others have willingly stepped in or even been swallowed whole by it. I wondered why others didn’t try to reach for something to pull them out; save themselves. At this moment, I grasp the feeling of wanting to succumb to the quicksand rather than fight to get out of it. Through this new experience, I now have insight and revelation that has adjusted the lens I once peered through. Regarding my current disposition and condition... my glasses aren’t as rose colored as they used to be.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment