Monday, May 6, 2013

Sasha


 
“Treasure every extraordinary memory and that's why…
I want my unborn son to be like my daddy
I want my husband to be like my daddy
There is no one else like my daddy
And I thank you for loving me”
 
~ Beyoncé – Daddy
 
 
This morning while riding to work, someone asked a question regarding my time in Wichita Falls, TX and it triggered a memory that made me smile. 
 
We lived on base in Wichita Falls while I was in 1st – 3rd grade prior to my dad retiring from the Air Force. Because we lived on base and Mommy and Daddy worked on base, I was a latch key kid. I usually had a couple of hours home alone before my parents came home and would eat snacks and watch TV.  

Rabbit trail:
SNACKS!! Ok, that triggered another fond memory of Daddy, I might have to give him a call after work or something LMAO! Most of you know Mommy cannot cook and doesn’t care to and Daddy is a chef. In elementary school, Daddy made my lunches and left snacks for me to have after school. This man was creative! I NEVER knew what was gonna be in that lunch box when I opened it haha! During the winter, sometimes, he would make soup and put it in a thermos that kept it hot and wrap my grilled cheese in foil and somehow it would still be warm too. There was ALWAYS a dessert in the box like a moon pie, snack cake, cookie or something. He made all kinds of lunches but I never had the typical sandwich and chips. Back then, I would be sad because I wanted a sandwich and chips like the other kids but looking back, now I know I was “WINNING!!!" and didn’t even know it. 
 
Ok, back to what I was supposed to be talking about. One day, Daddy popped up on me early. Mommy wasn’t with him, which was weird but what was even weirder was his Member’s Only jacket was zipped up to his eye balls. Daddy was cheesin’ and looking extra happy and I was extra confused. Next thing I know, his jacket started moving in the middle but I could see his hands so I started freaking out and running. Daddy laughed, told me to come back, unzipped his jacket and out popped a puppy! A PUPPY! WHAT! Now I don’t ever remember any discussions about a puppy, but I thought it was cool. She was cute!
 
Daddy put the puppy down and she hid under the kitchen table. I asked Daddy whose puppy that was and he laughed at me some more and informed me the canine belonged to me. WHAT! You didn’t just get a puppy but you got ME a puppy?!?!?! He told me to go get her so she could get to know me so I sat under the table w/ her for a while since she wouldn’t come out. While under the table – hehehehe- Mommy came home. I overhear Daddy INFORMING her that he got me a puppy and Mommy was piss hot mad! She said she didn’t want a dog, couldn’t believe he would make a “unilateral decision like that” and that she “wasn’t taking care of no damn dog.” Daddy told her that she didn’t have to, that Sasha was my dog and he would help me take care of her. Now that I think about it…go head on Daddy. He didn’t check w/ Mommy or back down lol!!
 
Daddy showed me how to take care of her, feed her and all that jazz. My next door neighbor got a dog shortly before Sasha showed up so we had a contest to see who could teach their do go shake first. I won, of course, but uummmm I taught her to shake w/ her left hand. I was left handed, in the first grade and I don’t recall ever being told that you shake with your right hand. I just knew you taught a dog to shake your hand so I taught her to use the hand I knew to use lol! Man, those were some different times and the day I got Sasha was a happy day. I know it’s Mother’s Day this weekend but I think I need to do something nice for my Daddy too.

1 comment: