“Tell me who do you think you see
You’re standing in your corner
looking out on me
You think I’m so predictable
Tell me who do you think I am
Looks can be deceiving
Better guess again
Tell me what you see
When you look at me”
When You Look At Me ~ Christina
Milian
As much as I harp on not being judged on my exterior or
assumptions if you haven’t genuinely invested time into getting to know who I
really am…I pretty much did the same thing recently.
The physical, exterior metamorphosis I was involuntarily forced
through over the past 18 months left me feeling vulnerable, frustrated,
unattractive, invisible, ruined and at times depressed. As a result I became
overly sensitive (…yes, even more than my wonderful inherent levels) to
perceived judgment. It was shocking to be smashed into a body I didn’t even
recognize while at the same time cutting off all of my hair. I didn’t realize until
the hair wasn’t there I’d subconsciously used it as a shield I hide behind in
uncomfortable situations. I was having a conversation with one of the
short-term supervisors of the new, new job (since now we’re at the new, new,
new, NEW job). I went to flip my hair in my face a bit, as if to put a barrier
between us while I pondered my approach but there was nothing there to flip
lol!
It wasn’t until this summer I noticed I’d been avoiding
going places or attending functions with family or friends to avoid questions,
comments and stares that would be hurled at me. Even though I cognitively
understood I didn’t have control over what was happening and profoundly prayed
it would subside I didn't want to deal w/ those that had been waiting for me to fall off having a an opportunity to revel in it. I went to the movies a lot, it’s dark there and you don’t have
to interact with anyone. I didn’t even want strangers to meet this alien imposter
posing at me. From never having
complexion issues in life to having rough skin and bumps all over my face and weighing 45lbs more than my maximum ever overnight, it just didn’t make sense.
I was afraid those not connected enough to know and
understand what was going on presumed me to be lazy, slovenly; someone
unconcerned about health & fitness. I mean, outsiders wouldn’t know the
medications and situations causing my once thick, long, healthy hair to break
off and fall out in clumps, which led me to firmly decide against putting more
chemicals on/in my body and ended with “big chop.” I feared strangers would
perceive me homo/bisexual or militant. It didn’t help folks in my circle were making lesbian jokes about it that I laughed off while
inside I cried.
I was used to the normal judgey judgey stuff from regular
life. For instance while hospitalized this summer, I called room service to
place my dinner order. Since I was having surgery and it was my last meal for a
while, I said I wanted some kind of dessert. I saw they had strawberries and
asked if they had whipped cream. Later in the conversation, she offered a side item
for the meal and I declined but said my daughter would love that. She asked how
old my daughter was and when I said 21, ol’ girl laughed and said, “Ohhh see that’s why
your fast behind wants some whipped cream. I see your DOB on the screen. You
was just out there being fresh and got knocked up at 16. Look at you!” *blink*
*shrug* That’s normal. I'm used to that.
Based on a consistent history of knowing certain aspects of
my life would always bring perspicacity and assumptions, I worked hard on
presenting the outward image I wanted associated with me that wasn’t based on
anything going on internally, spiritually or emotionally. As far back as I can remember,
physicians have consistently said they were baffled my exterior didn’t match
the internal; that I would never outwardly look as sick, in pain or
troubled as my lab tests and situations showed I was. So to lose control of my
survival and coping mechanism was difficult. I felt naked.
I don’t believe myself to be the baddest bitch on the planet
nor an impeccable, unblemished role model but I’d hang out with me. I think
those that have taken the time to get to know me (…ok, well the ones I actually LET in
or allow the time) seem to think I’m ‘aight. I work to keep the mindset of
those that don’t know, try, judge or assume, their loss and it doesn’t diminish
my existential value.
Soooooooo…I had to check myself recently when I
almost looked past a true treasure based solely on the peripheral and personal parameters
put in place and policed by me. Ironically, what caused me to take a second
look was the realization this person saw me during the period I couldn’t see
myself. After coming out on the other side, I could look back and see when I
was at an all time self-image low, they treated me consistently the same as when I felt
back on top. On my worst, most unappealing day, none of that
mattered to them. Glad I took a moment to look further…WINNING! Lol!

No comments:
Post a Comment