Friday, September 7, 2012

Happily Ever After


 
You said you'd never leave me
I said I'd never leave you
but fairy tales don't always come true
You promised to stay with me
I promised to stay with you
I guess you knew and blew a good thing baby
cause I'm saying bye bye
~ Guy – Goodbye Love 

It’s a new day. Sun is shining. Birds are chirping. Flowers are blooming. It’s amazing how when you truly give something to God, you can wake up and it LITERALLY be gone. Coolness!  

I was listening to Nas’ new CD and got stuck on his song Bye Baby about his former wife, Kelis. I remember when I first heard they were dating. I thought to myself, interesting but I think that can work. I was actually sad to hear they were divorcing, especially with her being seven months pregnant. 

I found it interesting the song was not what I expected to hear. I thought he would be bashing her for taking half and all the divorce drama, but it was quite the opposite. The song actually came off to me as an apology for his infidelity, his reiteration that he sincerely loved her and she was his best friend, and his sadness over the loss of their relationship. One part of the song made me applaud in the car:
 
And all I seen was selfish cowards, under they breath
Saying why did Nas trust her
But look at yourself, speak louder bro
You live with your babymoms and scared to make an honest woman out of her
And make her your bride, fake pimps you ain’t even alive
At least I can say I tried plus enjoyed the ride 

A-freakin-men! He said at least he tried! He made an honest woman out of her. Honorable. I think what impressed me most about the song was hearing how happy they were, how much he enjoyed their friendship, and sharing the “highlight of his life” with her. After all of the tabloids, invasion of privacy and public disclosure of how much he gave her in the divorce because there was no prenup, he would do it again. I was in awe when he talked about giving half. You immediately think he’s talking about money since we all know he parted with half of his kingdom, but he says: 

Listen, could you imagine writing your deposition
Divorce lawyer telling you how this thing gonna be ending
With you paying out the ass and I’m talking half
Not some but half
No serious, half
Half of your soul
Half of your heart, you leaving behind
It’s either that or die
I wanted peace of mind 

Nas ends the song saying he can’t wait to do it again and have a beautiful life. Wow! He didn’t turn into one of those men that is bitter, scorned, and professes they will never marry again. Regardless of all he went through, he still believes. I think that’s what I identified with. After allllllll I’ve been through in relationships, I still believe. I thought I was a dinosaur or relic because I sincerely believe in my ‘happily ever after’. Hearing a man, a public figure, reveal their heart and become vulnerable on wax lifted my hope just a little bit higher. This reinforced my belief that I can have all of that and then some. I really hope Nas finds the love he is looking for. He’s a phenomenal, humble, awesome lyricist. I hate things didn’t work out with he and Kelis but am encouraged by his determination and conviction he will have ‘happily ever after’ …and so will I!  

Funk-O-Meter = 12
Days Without 'Cupcake' = 4 (… ;0{ )

1 comment:

  1. Wait... I'm confused by the funkometer... I thought the high #s were the bad days?

    ReplyDelete